Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Best Rejection Letter Ever

Via Marginal Revolution:
…it is with no inconsiderable degree of reluctance that I decline the offer of any Paper from you. I think, however, you will under reconsideration of the subject be of the opinion that I have no other alternative. The subjects you propose for a series of Mathematical and Metaphysical Essays are so very profound, that there is perhaps not a single subscriber to our Journal who could follow them.
Sir David Brewster editor of The Edinburgh Journal of Science to Charles Babbage on July 3, 1821. Noted in James Gleick’s, The Information.
See also Munger, Charlie:

"Think about it a little more and you will agree with me because you're smart and I'm right."

--Mr. Munger quoted in "Damn Right: Behind the Scenes with..."